Industry Job Opportunities
Please note: In order to keep our list current, we will post position announcements for a three-month period. If your position is still open after three months, we will gladly update your posting.
January 19, 2018
NISSLEY VINEYARDS AND WINERY ESTATE WINEMAKER POSTION
Nissley Vineyards and Winery Estate is a third-generation family owned winery seeking a full-time winemaker for our annual 20,000-case operation. Four decades in the industry make us one of the oldest and most well-known wineries in Pennsylvania. Our award-winning and widely popular French hybrid wines and artfully managed events have made us one of the most well-respected. This position gives the ideal candidate the ability to continue producing the wines that have made us successful, and presents the unique opportunity to develop finely crafted, premium estate grown vinifera wines to be added to our wine list. Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Barbera, and Lemberger have been/will be planted in 2017/2018. More vinifera will be planted in 2019 and 2020. Learn more about us at http://www.nissleywine.com.
An Amtrak station is located 10 minutes from the property allowing easy access to Philadelphia, New York City, Baltimore, and Washington DC. Harrisburg International Airport is a brief 20-minute drive, and Baltimore International Airport is roughly 80 minutes away. Besides convenient access to these major urban centers, both Lancaster and Harrisburg offer their own unique cultural experiences, with theaters, art galleries and a wide variety of culinary and night life options.
As an emerging wine region, south-central Pennsylvania offers the opportunity to network with other local winemakers who continually strive to raise the bar of PA wines.
This is not an entry level position, and will require logistical expertise in addition to a well-developed knowledge of current winemaking practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and participate in all aspects directly related to winemaking:
- Plan production quantities with general manager.
- Coordinate pick dates with vineyard manager and general manager.
- Coordinate harvest day operations in the winery.
- Coordinate delivery of fruit or juice from others.
- Perform chemical analysis on wines and conduct all lab work. Wet lab is located on-site.
- Conduct all stages of wine production including fermentations and filtrations.
- Create blends for and coordinate tastings trials.
- Coordinate bottling and labeling of wines.
- Oversee and participate in all aspects generally related to winemaking:
- Keep a safe, clean, organized production area.
- Keep state and federal records, as well as required in-house records.
- Remain up-to-date on all compliance issues related to winemaking.
- Order and maintain inventory of supplies related to winemaking.
- Obtain TTB COLA approvals.
- Maintain all winery equipment and systems.
- Work to become on-site specialist for these systems.
- Other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain an already strong relationship with Penn State Grape Extension and our other industry partners.
- Provide expertise on:
- Purchasing new equipment when needed.
- Grape variety, clone and rootstock choices for planting.
- New winemaking practices.
- Coordinate entries to wine competitions.
- Act as brand representative.
- Treat visitors in the production area with respect.
- Work with events team to prepare the production area when needed for sales activity.
- Assist with Music in the Vineyards summer concerts as needed.
- Experience with American, French hybrid, Vinifera, and fruit wines.
- Strong work ethic, willing to work long hours during harvest and bottling. (Vacation time not available during these peak periods.)
- 3-5 years’ experience.
- Enology degree preferred.
- Experience with MS Office Suite. Strong Excel skills preferred.
- Able to lift 50lbs overhead.
- Able to work with a small team in a supportive and positive atmosphere.
- Commensurate with mid-Atlantic industry standards, and work experience. A small, picturesque farmhouse located near the beautiful winery property will be available beginning April 2018 as an option for your full-time residence.
- As soon as possible, but not after May 15, 2018.
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- At least one, but preferably two references.
January 11, 2018
BLAIR VINEYARDS HARVEST INTERN POSITION
Blair Vineyards seeks highly motivated, self-starting individuals for its 2017 harvest team. Blair Vineyards is a small lot, premium vinifera vineyard focusing on Pinot noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris. We are situated on 30 acres of estate vineyards in the Lehigh Valley AVA, Berks County, SE Pennsylvania.
This position starts in mid to late August and goes through the end of November.
It is a full-time position during that period.
As a Harvest Worker, you will assist the production and winemaking staff with all harvest-related activities. This can include but is not limited to:
• Cleaning and sanitizing tanks, presses, hoses, and other winery equipment.
• Pumpovers and punch downs.
• Draining, emptying and pressing must from tanks.
• Barrel work and topping.
• Assist full-time crew with receiving fruit; crushing/de-stemming.
• Wine movements (racking, transfers).
• General winery cleaning.
• Sampling, lab analysis.
• Chemical additions.
• Yeast and ML inoculations, nutrient additions.
We are looking for hardworking candidates, with a positive attitude and ability to multi-task in a busy environment. The ideal candidate must pay close attention to detail, be committed to quality and passionate about wine! Previous harvest experience is preferred, but not a requirement. The is a paid position.
Ability to lift or move up to 55 pounds is required. Shift work and overtime required. Ability to read and follow work orders. Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently. Must work safely around moving equipment and electricity. Forklift abilities helpful but not required. A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is also required.
December 15, 2017
Vineyard Manager at Folino Estate Winery & Vineyard, Kutztown, PA
The Vineyard Manager will utilize a scientific and forward-thinking approach to all aspects of the viticulture and landscaping at Folino Estate; in conjunction with the Viticulture team will develop and implement policy and procedures and advise on technical and operational viticulture matters throughout the company. This will have the express purpose of maximizing sustainable yield and fruit quality, ensuring compliance with country standards, and maintaining a high level of vine health and vineyard integrity.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Caring for our established Vineyards
- Establishing new Vineyards
- Responsibility from planting to tending to pruning to harvest
- Grass Cutting
- Outdoor Wedding Preparation
- Special Seasonal Events
- Assist with wine making or wine serving as needed
- Maintain vegetable garden
- Miscellaneous outdoor duties
- Administrative Tasks
Qualifications and Skills
- Commercial vineyard experience gained within a competitive winery environment where excellent process and competent management has demonstrated high-quality outcomes
- Minimum 3 years in a leadership role at an established vineyard
- Bachelors Degree in viticulture/horticulture
- Must possess strong leadership skills and ability to manage employees
- Solid track record of success in previous assignments demonstrating upward career tracking.
- Strong communication skills but not required.
- Must be dependable, reliable, and self-motivated.
- Computer knowledge, Drivers License a must
- Competitive compensation package
- Medical insurance options
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Company dining program
- Clear path to growth and career advancement
- Excellent opportunity with a growing brand
Job Type: Full-time
Stephanie F. Luckey